I remember mentioning in one of my posts about how we can replace some traditional ingredients from certain recipes and end up totally blown away by the results.Yes it is possible,only if we keep in mind what flavours could go with what in terms of taste and texture and yes,be appealing to the eyes too.I was just surfing through the internet for some desserts recipes when i found cranachan.A traditional scottish summer dessert that is usually served during harvest time or on special occasions is often assembled right at the serving table so as to suit to everyone's taste.I also read Anjum anand's Punjabi cranachan recipe,which is slightly more eloborate because it involves making custard as well.I'm adding her link for your reference.
I'm sure it tastes good too ,but what i like is my recipes to be simpler.May be some day i'll attempt at it,but for now..i'm going to stick to the simpler version.Here it is:
Mango Cranachan with Ginger syrup:
4 tbl spns of rolled oats
2 medium sized ripe mangoes
300 ml of whole milk
4 tbl sp sugar
200 ml double cream(whipped to soft peakes)
crushed almonds-1/2 cup and some to garnish
lemon juice-2 tspn
2 tspns ginger syrup/single malt whiskey
- Dry roast the porridge oats slowly in a pan untill it begins to smell warm and nutty.
- Boil the milk with sugar(reserve a spoon for later).
- Peel and dice one of the mangoes into cubes and puree the other one with the reserve sugar and lemon juice.Mix the dices and the puree together.
- Add the cooled oats(save some for garnish) to the boiling milk and cook for some time till it begins to thicken.Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl.Cover with cling and keep it inside the refrigerator to chill.
- At this stage,traditionally some whiskey is added to the whipped cream,but you can choose to add other flavours.I added two tspn of ginger syrup to the cream and it tasted great.To know how to make a ginger syrup check out http://beyondwonderful.com/recipes/sauces/ginger_syrup.htm
- Add the crushed almonds to the oats mixture just before serving.
- In a glass,spoon some mango mixture,then some porridge mixed with amonds and then cream mixed with ginger syrup/whiskey.Repeat for as many layers as you want.
- Sprinkle some rolled oats on the top and some flaked almonds.I added a strawberry and dusted the glass with coco powder to add color.Serve immediately.